Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Instructional Strategies and Cognitivism

The cognitive learning theory relates to how a learner gathers and stores information. Dr. Michael Orey explains this as information entering the brain and being put into short term memory, which can store and process roughly seven items at a time. The information in the short term memory is decoded, and either forgotten or sent to long term memory. The long term memory is explained as a network of information that has multiple connections between words and pictures (Laureate, 2009). Concept mapping, certain forms of note taking, and the use of technology in the classroom relate to the cognitive theory of learning because they aid students with transferring information from short term memory to long term memory; which is the ultimate goal of any educator.

Concept mapping, and other visual organizers, allows students to, “…focus on the essential concepts and themes that will prepare them to learn” (Pitler, et al, 2007, p 76). This is a great way for educators to help students see the connections between different parts of the same topic. An effective way to help create connections is through the process of note taking where students write words in one area, draw pictures in another and summarize the main idea in a third area (Pitler, et al, 2007, p 124). This method is effective because of the combination of images which build understanding (Laureate, 2009), written words that connect to the images and summarizing which gives the pictures and words a deeper meaning.

Technology should play a large role in the learning process as, “…teachers and students can use a variety of technology tools to create well-organized, visually appealing organizers” (Pitler, et al, 2007, p 74). Educators need to be careful in their presentation methods using technology to ensure it is as effective as possible in helping students create and strengthen connections from prior knowledge to current learning. Dr. Orey gave a hypothetical example where one teacher was talking about General Lee; on the PowerPoint presentation was a clipart picture of a baby boy. The connection the students could make was to the gender of the clipart child, but not to General Lee himself (Laureate, 2009). Once the teacher is proficient at using technology to create appealing organizers, the students will be able to learn the information easily, and retain it in long term memory because of the strong connections between words and pictures.

Resources:
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Cognitive Learning Theory. Baltimore: Author.
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Max,

    The note taking process you described from our text where students write words in one area, draw pictures in another and summarize in a third is an excellent strategy to use with math. Students need this type of practice when solving open ended math problems.

    Another caution I will share is to make sure you preview the virtual field trips. One of the ones I viewed began with a preview of a scary movie. Another site that came up in my search was a video of a teenage rapper singing a song about money with curses in it. Did anyone else find inappropriate material in their searches? There is a lot of valuable information out there as long as you have the time to sort through the junk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynne,

    My district has very strict filters on our internet connection so we cannot access any videos through the school computers. I have to search (and preview) all videos on my home computer, then save them to a flash drive and bring that to school before I can show anything to my students. I agree that there are great videos on the internet but there is just as much or more junk that has to be searched through to find the good ones.

    Thanks for responding,

    Max Mills

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Max & Lynne,
    It is amazing how much is out there that is not appropriate for students. I found many sites that initially I thought would be good but ended up being unacceptable. I now that my high school students have access to all of it at their homes and they try to tell me its no big deal, but as it should be we have strict policies.

    On the topic of cognitive theory; I am definitely a learner who requires organization, images, small chunks of information at one time, and repetition. This week I have gained insight into why, it has been quite interesting. Then there is my husband and two sons who only have to read something once and they remember 95% of it. Oh well, I am glad I have known for many years what method of learning works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As with so much of teaching today, one of the extreme challenges of incorporating technology is the time required to filter useful materials out of the myriad of inappropriate ones- be they explicit or simply not age appropriate. There are so many great technology tools, websites, programs, etc. that learning all of it on our own simply is not feasible. We need to depend on one another as teachers, to assist and share the useful tools we encounter, and heed warning when something doesn't work or is not appropriate. I find there simply isn't time in my life, never mind the teaching day, to make enough of my lessons fit all of the criteria that I know will make the learning engaging and meaningful by relating it to real life contexts, especially when it seems the state standards change as often as the sun rises. Sometimes it can all be so overwhelming and frustrating (such as when you put the time in to a lesson that depends on technology, and then the technology doesn't cooperate!)Do you also encounter these frustrations, and if so, how do you deal with them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Max,

    Your district removes some of the spontaneity that Internet access invites. I enjoyed looking things up with the students that I was not sure about or that they wanted to know more about. However, you are much less likely to run into inappropriate materials for the students since you have to preview it all first. No matter where you look for information on the Web, there is a lot of junk to sort through and sometimes it takes a long time to find exactly what you want.

    Is it a pain to have to preplan and search for all of your Internet sources at home? I have Macs at home, so sometimes items I find at home may not open the same way it does at home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Diana & Pam,

    I agree that students most likely view many more inappropriate things on the Internet at home than at school. However, I would never want to be the one to expose them to something I feel is not appropriate. It is hard to be a role model when there are so many inappropriate items that students can view. How do you prevent this from happening in your classroom?

    The two reading Instructional Support teachers and myself planned an entire parent meeting. Some of our presentation was to share games from the Internet that they can use at home. We logged into the system using a laptop and a projector. We were unable to get into the Internet from the laptop. My department head was there and got passwords for it to work, however when we went to use it it had gone into sleep mode and we could not wake it up. We called for our local computer wiz who finally fixed it, but it went to sleep again. We wound up not using the computer. In hindsight we should have hooked the projector to our desktop. That is the plan for our meeting next month. How do you handle it when technology fails you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Max

    In the past, my school district also filtered our Internet. I, like you, also used to bring in videos via a flash drive. It worked "ok," but I found a site where you can download videos, convert them, and then a link will be sent to your email account so you can download the video. The link is only good for 24 hours, but I found this much more convenient than bringing in video clips. The site is zamzar.com. Hopefully this will work as good for you as it has for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pam,
    I do get frustrated when my technology does not work. However, I do know enough about computers, my projector and my SmartBoard to be able to quickly fix most of the problems. When I cannot fix the problem, I can get a hold of my district’s tech people and they usually show up and fix the problem within a day or two.

    When it comes to planning lessons, I do fight time constraints having two young children and my wife and I both coaching multiple sports. In regards to relating content to my students’ lives, I only focus and plan technology rich lessons for those ideas that are difficult to teach and hard to learn. The content that students pick up simply by reading does not need a lot of technology or a lot of time spent in the design and planning process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Max,

    Our technology department's response time is improving, but a big part of the issue is having no administrative rights, not even to update Adobe programs when needed. That requires a tech work order for every little thing, aside from the typical rebooting, or checking connection wires. I have ( a little)more computer savvy than that, and really dislike that I may have to wait 2 days for something I could have fixed if I had the access. Oh well!
    Thanks for the reponse!

    ReplyDelete