Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Role of Behaviorism in the Classroom

The behaviorist approach to education is widely used in my building and in my classroom. Dr. Michael Orey said, “Behaviorism is operant conditioning…which is made up of reinforcement and punishment”. Each teacher has created a classroom behavior management plan which includes consequences for undesirable behaviors (Laureate, 2008). The class rules are explained to the students at the beginning of the school year or semester and the students are expected to adhere to them or suffer the punishment. But is this the only type of behaviorism that is used in the classroom? Does reinforcing a student’s effort fall into the behaviorist category; how about homework and practice?

“The instructional strategy of reinforcing effort enhances students’ understanding of the relationship between effort and achievement by addressing their attitudes and beliefs about learning.” Teachers must educate students about the importance of effort and require that the students measure their own effort and how it relates to achievement (Pilter, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p 155). Many teachers partially follow this idea by relating a failing student’s low scores to a lack of attendance or participation in class, but do not make the attempt to require the student to track effort and achievement at the same time. Many students see a lack of academic success as being a result of something somebody else has done. Common excuses include, “my mom didn’t wake me up, my alarm didn’t go off, I’m just not good at remembering anything, and I don’t do well on any test”. When teachers hear these excuses from students, they need to redirect the students’ focus toward personal effort.

“Homework and practice give students a chance to review and apply what they have learned… [because it is] an extension of the classroom… [and] provides opportunities for students to deepen their understanding of the content and to gain proficiency with their skills” (Pilter, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p 187). With this being said, I personally do not believe in the drill and kill method of reinforcing a concept or skill. Worksheets and quizzes have a role in the classroom, but in my classroom that role is being minimized. I teach in an 86 minute block and as a result I rarely assign homework. My students still go through the process of learning a new concept or skill and then practicing, but I have chosen to use situations relevant to my students’ lives in my methods of practice. Instead of requiring my students to memorize facts, I have them use their cell phones to relate the functions of cell organelles to objects they already know; instead of giving them quizzes regarding cell reproduction, I have them discuss how the process relates to cancer and why cancer is so difficult to treat. I agree that students need the time to practice the new skills they have learned, but worksheets are not the best possible option.

Reinforcing effort falls under the behaviorist theory because teachers desire a student’s best effort out of each assignment and when a student does well, they are rewarded and when they fail to meet expectations they are punished. Teachers need to set their students up for success by helping them to build the life skills necessary to be a productive member of society; my personal best effort in everything I do is one of those life skills.

Resources:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2008). Behaviorist Learning Theory. Baltimore: Author.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

4 comments:

  1. I am intrigued by your no or little homework approach to science. I teach science as well and have been trying to incorporate more and more concept review activities to minimize worksheets. I am finding, however, that at the age and maturity level of a lot of my students I can't stray too far away from those types of activities because the students don't know how to apply what they are learning in science to what they already know and make that connection. Do I have too low of standards for my students or is there a certain age where the way you teach is more effective? What grade do you teach? I think your ideas are interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Max,

    I also agree that students often use excuses and blame others when they are not successful. Teaching students about effort and the effects it has on their success is a very valuable lesson. I also see students' knowledge about effort benefitting our bright students. If nothing else, it will reinforce and justify why they need to continue to work hard. It may even provide them with additional ways to improve their effort that they were unaware of previously.

    Perhaps it is not as relevant to use skill and drill in science class. Think back, however, to when you had to learn your multiplication facts or algebraic equations. Do you see the value of skill and drill practice with these concepts?

    It is incredible that you are able to teach by relating information to students' lives and making it relevant to them. They must get so much more learning out of your class as a result.

    YEAH for no homework. I wish my daughter had you! As a parent I really am not fond of homework. When my own kids started getting homework it made me rethink and totally change what I gave my students for homework.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyndsay and Lynne,

    I mostly teach sophomore Biology. Most of my students struggle with synthesizing information from my class to use in real life situations. What I have decided to do is try to bring those situations into my classroom and use those relevant situations to teach my content.

    Over the last couple of years I have noticed my students becoming more vocal regarding the methods educators use to teach. One student even asked me if there was a competition among the teachers to see who could use the most paper in a semester. Using technology in my classroom really struck home when one student told me, “You are an awesome teacher because you let me use my cell phone in class instead of stealing it from me. You have totally connected what I love to do (using his cell phone) with your Biology class and I feel like I actually learned something today!” The use of his cell phone in class was for a review game where the students worked in pairs to answer questions I had on the SmartBoard. The first group to text the correct answer to my phone earned points and each subsequent group earned half as many points. Since then I have made a personal commitment to using more meaningful technology and less paper in my classroom.

    I have three fears about homework; 1) when the work leaves my classroom, will I ever see it again, and 2) if a student does bring the work back the next day, did the student copy the work from another student in the hallway five minutes before class started and 3) did this student actually complete the work or did somebody else between school and home do it? I teach in an 86 minute block of time for each class so there is ample time for review of skills and concepts and as a result less need for homework.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Max,
    I too wish that my daughter had you for biology. Using the cell phones in class is such a great way to engage your students. How do you get around your no cell phone policy?
    As a parent I hate homework! We don't get much time with our own kids anyway and then to spend it doing school work seems not so great for the family. I only give homework that students can do quickly and is easy. Parents should not be teaching new material. Homework should be only reinforcement for material already taught.

    ReplyDelete