Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Monitoring My Game Plan

As I continue forward, it is imperative that I continue to monitor the progress of my personal GAME plan. Self-assessment is the key when it comes to modifying my plan. Many people will move forward toward their goals, even when insurmountable situations clearly impede further progress. Because of this, I need to continuously reassess my plan to modify and adapt it as necessary.

I have conducted many informal surveys with my colleagues to assess their technological needs, and these conversations have helped give me some clear guidance. It appears that my current action plan is on track and that I assumed correctly when I felt that many of my colleagues needed further support for integrating technology in their classrooms. It is important that all of us understand what our needs are and how we are going to fulfill those needs (Laureate, 2009).

So far, I have learned that there is a greater need for professional development in utilizing technology effectively. It appears that too many times educators are giving technology without proper guidance. Or, they receive massive training in two or three days, but receive zero follow-up. In this case, it is important that I continue my plan until the need no longer exists. I have to not only help my colleagues, but I must continue my professional development as well.

Some new questions that arise are “How will I teach teachers in varying disciplines to use technology appropriately?” I do not want teachers to use technology for meaningless reasons; you have to make sure that the technologies you use are “representative of those embedded in your content domain” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 162). I also do not want other teachers to be deterred from utilizing my expertise because my discipline differs from theirs. Educators do not always realize that technology can be utilized in the same format through all content.



Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use. Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Part 1. Promoting students needs with technology. Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore: Author.

No comments:

Post a Comment