Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Evaluating My GAME Plan

Once a GAME plan gets underway and the process for meeting initial goals is in place, it is important to begin evaluating current progress. My goals were centered on modeling digital-age work and learning as well as engaging in professional growth and leadership.

Firstly, by setting specific dates for staff development as well as sending my staff a survey, I feel that I am well on my way to meeting my first goal of modeling digital-age work and learning. I want to continue this goal by receiving more feedback in regards to the needs of my colleagues as the year progresses. I will try to achieve this by having them fill out a feedback form at the end of each session. I will take their comments and opinions into consideration when I plan our next session. Also, I believe that I am meeting my goal of engaging in professional growth by registering in various workshops throughout the summer.

After taking part in this process, I have learned many new instructional strategies. By going to various conferences thus far, I have already brought numerous new teaching approaches to my classroom. For instance, my knowledge of adapting technology to my lessons has vastly improved. I not only use my SMARTBoard on a daily basis, but my students are utilizing its potential as well. Without a doubt, “The increasing use of technology—not only in teaching and learning but in careers and professions—provides numerous opportunities to support higher-order thinking and creativity” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 188). By becoming more tech savvy, my students are truly reaping the benefits.

With anything, I know that there is a lot I have left to learn. Technology is always changing and transforming and I have realized that I need to have constant professional development. My fear is that I will not have as many opportunities to continue to grow in my knowledge of technology. With teaching, time is always a factor, and I am worried about not being able to allocate time for professional development as I need it. Furthermore, I live in a remote part of the country, so available resources are always a concern. I know that I can fulfill many of my needs through technology, but nothing compares to attending conferences and being able to personaly meet with presenters as well as have other face-to-face interactions.

With this in mind, I have to make sure that I register for future conferences ahead of time. I cannot wait till the last minute, and I have to make a contentious effort to rearrange my schedule as needed. Also, that means that I need to continue to bring back any new information to my colleagues so that they reap the benefits as well. My success with my GAME plan is entirely up to me; therefore, I have to continue to make a concerted effort to grow as an educator.


Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use. Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment